Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius


This movie absolutely stunned me. I had seen the musical back in the 90s on PBS with Angela Lansbury but I didn't like it. It was too heavy for a frolicky teenager like me. And I guess just not as pretty as Tim Burton's version. My God. Burton seriously makes this version of Sweeney the best one I've ever seen. His visuals are insanely gorgeous. There's this silent-movie feel to everything - intense shadows and beautifully-composed tableaus. The highlights are mostly not pure white - but a 5-10% shade of color (see Helena Boner, above). It looks as if the movie was shot in BW and subsequently tinted. The only times the highlights go to white are in a flashback and fantasy sequence. This goes perfectly with the grimy, dark industrial London of the story.

The font chosen for the poster and the end credits is pretty hot too. His visuals so perfectly complement the story that the music and lyrics shine brighter than ever.

Check out the following screen shots from the official website, http://www.sweeneytoddmovie.com/


click-on-clipz:


No comments: